In many shelters during an emergency, people will need to use improvised, emergency toilets if the water supply has been cut off. These kinds of toilets consist of any watertight container with a snug-fitting cover.
• Use a garbage container, pail, or bucket.
• If the container is small, keep a large container (also with a cover) available for waste disposal.
• If possible, line both containers with plastic bags.
• Every time the emergency toilet is used, pour or sprinkle a small amount of regular household disinfectant, such as creosol or chlorine bleach, into the container to reduce odors and germs.
• After each use, replace the lid.